The ability to upload files into SharePoint using the Windows Explorer window makes the migration of content into SharePoint significantly easier. The Windows Explorer mode option in SharePoint is also very beneficial if you want to move content from one location to another location in SharePoint. However, if you have not made one quick configuration change to Internet Explorer the time it takes to perform the upload, copy, or move within SharePoint is horribly slow.
You can follow these steps to significantly decrease the time necessary for these operations:
- In Internet Explorer, open the Tools menu and click Internet Options
- Click the Connections tab
- Click the LAN Settings button
- Uncheck the “Automatically detect settings” box
- Click OK until all dialog box windows are closed
After performing these steps you will now see a tremendous performance improvement when working with Windows Explorer in SharePoint.
Note: This is an IE setting so these steps must be performed on every computer that uses the SharePoint "Open with Explorer" feature.